Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Combining two great crops into one area!!!!


What a sad, sad day! This article I found in the Wall Street Journal is talking about all the people getting busted planting herb in vineyards(as if in our current economic times the WSJ didn't have enough bad news for us already!!). I think it sounds like a pretty good idea except herb needs a lot more nutrients in it's soil to grow to it's potential than grapes do. They also need a lot more water, so I wonder if the dual planting in the vineyard would also add to bigger, less flavorful grapes. I don't know, but I see it as a nice alternative to guerrilla grows that end up leaving tons of trash out in the woods in the form of irrigation tubing and living supplies. Also they cause a ton of erosion and a lot of times these cats aren't using very earth friendly amendments. I don't see why we can't combine forces for the greater good of this world and start co-op farming these two wonderful plants in an earth friendly manner. We could grow the ganja in between rows and have them using the fertile cover cropped soil as well as growing it's roots out and creating a root layer impervious to erosion. I think it could work for both parties with just a little imagination. Plus, I don't think you would see too many struggling vineyards anymore!

No comments: